Wednesday, February 6, 2008

At last the pictures!






I feel kind of crappy today. I slept in a bit and came into work late. I did however remember my camera so I can show you pictures of my superbowl party offering.








Chicken for the bold. Chicken basted and coated in Chipotle-Date Chutney. It was very yummy.



Francesco Clemente’s Amazing Hot Sauce (Chipotle and Date Chutney)

Ingredients:

  • 10 fresh or dried dates, pitted, cut into chunks
  • 4 plum tomatoes, seeded, with the juice squeezed from them
  • 13 ounces pickled chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt


Instructions:In a blender or processor, combine all the ingredients and
blend until they make a thick paste. Pour into a deep saucepan, and cook over
medium-low heat for about 5 to 6 minutes, adding 1/4 cup of water halfway though
and stirring. Cool and then store in an airtight glass jar.

This condiment will keep nicely in the fridge for a couple of months.


Makes about 3 1/2 to 4 cups


From Tangy Tart Hot & Sweet, published by Weinstein Books (October 2007).


Note: when I made the chutney I halved the recipe and I still had quite a bit left over after making the chicken below. So just wanted you to note that you will not use all the chutney on the chicken. Also I added a couple of additional dates to the mixture because I wanted my sauce a little sweeter and I used Kosher salt in place of sea salt.

Chicken for the Bold
1 -2 lbs of chicken drumsticks, thighs, drummettes or an assortment of any of these
¼ cup olive oil
About 1 cup of chipotle and date chutney (or to taste)

Heat oil in oven-proof skillet, brown chicken pieces, add chutney and cook until
chicken is done continuing to baste and turn chicken with chutney. Chicken should be well-coated with chutney. Once chicken is done, transfer to oven in
pan or on broiler pan and broil until skin/outside of chicken pieces is slightly
charred (5-6 minutes) on all sides (turn once). You can also baste chicken
with juices from pan again when you turn them.

Serve warm.

Note: I think I used too much oil (because I tried to halve
the recipe) to brown my chicken and therefore my chicken pieces may not have
been as saucy/sticky as they should have been. You can more chutney from
recipe above as add’l dipping sauce if you like.

No comments: